Carbon monoxide (CO) doesn’t have any odor, color or taste and it can’t be detected by our senses. This means that dangerous concentrations of the gas can build up indoors and with no way to detect the problem until residents of the home become ill. The symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu, which can cause victims to ignore the early signs.
The good news is that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with simple actions such as maintaining fuel burning equipment and appliances and installing a CO alarm.
CO Sources in the home include:
- Furnaces or boilers
- Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning
- Gas stoves and ovens
- Clothes dryers
- Water heaters
- Motor vehicles
- Grills, generators, power tools, lawn equipment
- Wood stoves
- Tobacco smoke
- Protect Your Family
Consistent annual maintenance of fuel burning equipment and appliances is one of the most intelligent and important decisions you can make. The team at Air1One are qualified and experienced heating professionals that can look for and fix any potential problems before they occur keeping your family home and safe.
- Know the Symptoms of CO Poisoning
CO is often called the “silent killer” because people will ignore early signs and eventually lose consciousness making them unable escape to safety. For most, the first signs of CO exposure include mild headache and breathlessness with moderate exercise. Continued exposure can lead to more severe headaches, dizziness, fatigue and nausea. Eventually symptoms may progress to confusion, irritability, impaired judgment and coordination, and loss of consciousness.
- Install and Maintain Carbon Monoxide Alarms in Your Home
- Install and maintain your CO detector according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and when you do so mark the product’s expiry date on it with a marker
- Replace the battery annually, or opt for models with 10-year sealed lithium batteries
- Replace the unit entirely every 7 – 10 years
- Check the expiry date of existing detector and replace any devices built before 2008
- If you have older parents or relatives, help them inspect their detectors and keep them maintained